The PADI Assistant Instructor
We wanted to clarify one of the the biggest areas of confusion (white elephants) in professional diving – that you go from PADI Divemaster level directly to PADI Instructor. Is this true or not?
If you are a bit confused, you are not alone! Below you will find out more about becoming a PADI Assistant Instructor certification which All Instructors have to have but don’t necessarily realise how they got there.
This course is typically run over 4-5 days, and after the course, an Assistant Instructor can assist Instructors more thoroughly on courses and can teach the PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy specialty course and PADI AWARE Speciality course independently.
You need to be certified as an Assistant Instructor before becoming a PADI Instructor, and that it’s included when you do the PADI IDC. Not many people realize that you can actually do the PADI AI course on its own, and you may have some very good reasons for this such as not having enough time, wanting to get more teaching practice, need a refresh as your Divemaster course was done years ago, want to find out if it’s really the right career choice for you etc.
Taking your PADI Assistant Instructor course as a stand-alone course is a great way of finding out if being an Instructor is really what you want to do.
Why Become a PADI Assistant instructor
The Assistant Instructor Development Course is a life changing and unforgettable experience. Here we will teach you how to present knowledge development presentations, confined water and open water teaching skills from the many PADI courses available.
The Assistant Instructor program is a developmental course which means we will guide you through the course and help you improve until you are ready for the PADI Instructor Examination and life as a PAD Instructor.
During the program we give you as much in-water time as possible in order to improve your skills and teaching abilities.
What Your Learn
The PADI Assistant Instructor Development Course is the industry leading training programme to create competent and caring instructors.
You'll participate in many realistic scenarios and workshops to build your confidence so that you are ready and raring to teach your first course.
Take This Course If You Want to
- Travel the world whilst earning money
- Do something truly fulfilling with your spare time around your existing career.
- Share your passion for diving
- Share the incredible learning journey of nervous new divers as they build their skills and confidence
Learn How to
- Teach divers new skills in a fun and safe environment
- Be an inspirational role model who brings out the best in people
- Plan your teaching to be fun, safe and integrated to maximise efficiency
What Can You Teach As Assistant Instructor?
You can teach the following PADI courses:
- Conduct skill evaluation under direct supervision from an instructor
- Conduct surface skills during pen water course dives under indirect supervision from an instructor
- Teach PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy specialty under the direction of an instructor
- Teach PADI Project AWARE (nondiving)
- Teach PADI Coral Reef Conservation (nondiving)
- Teach PADI Scuba Diving in the pool
- Teach Bubblemaker and Seal Team courses in the pool
- After additional training teach, digital underwater photography, O2 provider, EFR and equipment specialist
Meet Your Assistant Instructor Development Team
The Uk Diving Academy employs a team that is solely dedicated to training PADI dive professionals. They are here to make sure you get all the attention and time that you need and of course to make your training fun! All our team members are experienced Course Directors, Master Instructors or IDC Staff instructors that have worked in the industry for years and have great experience when it comes to training the best dive professionals.
We are dedicated to your training because we believe that each of our candidates should get 100% of our time and effort to become the best dive professionals in the industry. We also have a full team of experienced, PADI Instructors ready to help you to reach your Professional Diving Goals.Meet The Team
To qualify for training on the PADI Assistant Instructor Development Course, you must:
- Be certified as a PADI Divemaster or be an Divemaster in good standing with another training organisation for at least six months.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be certified as a diver for at least six months
- Have 60 logged dives that include experience in night, deep and navigation diving.
- Have proof of CPR and First Aid training within the last 24 months. The Emergency First Response course meets this requirement
- Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement signed by a physician within the last 12 months or full HSE Medical.
Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement signed by a physician within the last 12 months or full HSE Medical.
If you (or your physician) have questions about medical fitness to dive, contact the experts at Divers Alert Network (DAN), or your own Doctor.
You will not be able to participate in any pool or open water sessions without confirming your fitness to dive.
To take part in this course you will need to make sure you have, as minimum:
- Fins, mask and snorkel
- Buoyancy control device (BCD) with tank mount or separate backpack, and low-pressure inflator
- Primary regulator and alternate air source
- Breathing gas monitoring device (e.g. submersible pressure gauge)
- Depth monitoring device
- Quick release weight system and weights (if necessary for neutral buoyancy, or if required for skills practice)
- Adequate exposure protection appropriate for our local dive conditions.
- At least one audible emergency surface signaling device (whistle, air horn, etc.).
- Dive computer or RDP Note: If dives are planned using the RDP, the diver must have a timing device.
- In test scuba diving cylinder
During your course, we will offer equipment rental of all of the above core dive gear. You will be required to collect your core dive gear prior to the open water training dives from us.
- Dive site entry from £15 - £25 per day
- Equipment rental (if required)
- Air Fills
- Assistant Instructor Application Fee
- EFR Instrucotr Application Fee
- Speciality Instructor Application Fee
How To Book
Enrol onto the course by making your purchase online through our website. You will then receive an email asking for some more details to get you registered and also offering some help to get you started with your online materials.
After that, we will send you more details on logistics of your course, such where to be and when. If you already know which of our upcoming course dates suits you best, please book this date if you are unsure or can’t find a date that works for you simply give us a call to discuss this further.Contact Us
CROSSOVER TO PADI
Whether you are BSAC, SSI, CMAS or any other dive agency qualified, you can crossover to PADI and make yourself a more marketable commodity around the world. We have experience of working with numerous other agencys' candidates and can help you navigate the PADI system until you are super comfortable teaching PADI courses.
Contact our knowledgable team who will be able to advise you at what level your need to begin your PADI training. Most existing Divemasters / Dive Leaders can enrol directly onto an IDC, and if you are already an Instructor elsewhere you probably only need to do the OWSI section of an IDC and then attend an IE.
UK Diving Academy A PADI 5* Instructor Development Centre
As a PADI Five Star Instructor Development Centre we embrace the PADI System of diver education and provide a full range of PADI scuba diving education programs, equipment selection and experience opportunities, while encouraging aquatic environmental responsibility, and excel in providing quality services to divers, present a professional image and actively promote the benefits of recreational scuba diving, snorkeling, dive travel, and environmental protection, and then provide the continuing education that allows individuals to progress on to the dive professional level.
We have a specialist team of PADI Professionals made up of Course Directors, Master Instructors, and IDC Instructors on staff who are committed to offering PADI Instructor Development Courses and continuing education opportunities to dive professionals. Our team are supporting our community and are committed to providing customer satisfaction along with great dive experiences.